I've been searching for a job for the past 5 months. Sometimes seriously...other times not so seriously...lol. I get so engrossed in my henna or face painting, my job hunting takes back seat from time to time (okay...most of the time..lol)
Today, I am sharing what I've learned so far on my quest to find a job!
I was totally overwhelmed when it came to job hunting online.
So many websites and so many passwords and usernames to remember. Not to mention the time consuming part of uploading your resume and then again entering your work experience one employer at a time. The job title is not always the same, although the requirements could be similar. Sounds familiar?
I love lists. It makes things simpler and easy to follow. Here is my list for job hunting:
* First decide if you like to take notes on paper or save them on the computer. I like to note everything down on paper. Some people like to use Excel spreadsheet.
* Google 'job searching tools and websites'. Note them down, make a list.
* Google the position title, example: Logistics specialist. Note down variations in the title.
* Have your resume ready in MS Word or other software you would prefer.
* Prepare a general cover letter which can be easily and quickly edited as per the job you are applying for.
The above five points are the preparation part. Next are 'action' points! :)
* There are two ways - Google your desired job position or search it on each and every job searching websites. If you search jobs on the websites that you have already noted down, you can use 'advance search' option to select the latest job openings!
* Upload your resume on all the job searching websites. Note down the usernames and passwords.
* You will come across many staffing agencies while applying for job. Follow their procedure to register. Don't forget to note down the usernames and passwords!
Once you have done all the above, you are all set. Check the websites everyday. Decide a particular time for this. Make this your routine!
I like to keep a separate email account only for job hunting. This is listed on my resume as well as used to register on all the websites related to job search!
Hoping that this information would be useful for someone who is overwhelmed and confused (like me...lol) and help them see the path to their job search. It is not a smooth or a short path for sure! So keep your focus on your goal of finding a job.